Here are some simple steps showing you how to carve a turkey. Again, this is not rocket science, just a few simple tricks to help you get as many servings from your turkey as possible.
The tools you need are a cutting board, a very sharp knife and a carving fork.
Note: A sharp knife is half the job done.
- Step 1: Before carving the turkey let it rest for about 20 minutes, this will seal in the juices.
- Step 2: Put the turkey on a clean kitchen towel on a cutting board to keep it from wobbling.
- Step 3: Slice through the skin that connects the leg to the breast. Pull the leg and thigh off the body forcefully. Then cut through the hip joint and remove the leg.
- Step 4: Separate the thigh from the leg by cutting through the joint that connects them. Carve the bone out of the thigh meat. Then slice the thigh.
- Step 5: Remove the breast in one piece. Cut next to the breastbone. Use long strokes as you slice, don’t saw and peel the breast of the breastbone. Slice the breast against the grain.
- Step 6: Remove the wings by pulling them off the body and cutting the joint.
A Video Demonstrating How To Carve A Turkey.
Enjoy your bird!